Americans of all races tend to eat more and are less active than their ancestors, which, is contributing to the obesity epidemic in the US. Recent statistics show that up to 66% of the US population is overweight or obese. These weight trends are even more pronounced among African Americans with 60% of African American men and 78% of African American women identified as overweight. In addition, 28.8% of men and 50.8% of African American women are considered obese.
Simply put, we eat large portions of what we want but the nutritional value is not there. Our recipes give you just that, good healthy food with a balanced nutrition. They are for anyone that needs a balanced meal selection without the worry of excess sugar, sodium, or calories! Start eating smarter right now with Livewell Healthy Living Café.
4 servings | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 20-ounce can pineapple rings, plus 1/3 cup juice from the can
- 4 large boneless, skinless chicken thighs, (about 1 1/2 pounds), trimmed (see Tip)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Whisk sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar and the 1/3 cup pineapple juice in a large bowl. Add pineapple rings and chicken and gently stir to coat. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill to medium-high.
- Remove the chicken and pineapple from the marinade and pat dry; reserve the marinade. Oil the grill rack. Grill the chicken and pineapple until the chicken is cooked through and the pineapple is marked, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Whisk the reserved marinade and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, whisking, until reduced and thickened, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in butter. Serve the chicken and pineapple drizzled with the sauce.
Per serving : 360 Calories; 11 g Fat; 4 g Sat; 3 g Mono; 83 mg Cholesterol; 39 g Carbohydrates; 22 g Protein; 1 g Fiber; 467 mg Sodium; 238 mg Potassium
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 3 lean meat, 1/2 fat
This health informative is brought to you by Livewell Distribution, a company focused on health and wellness. For more information on obtaining Livewell’s healthy products email them at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributing sources for this article include: www.eatingwell.com