Americans of all races tend to eat more and are less active than their ancestors, which, is contributing to the obesity epidemic in the US. Recent statistics show that up to 66% of the US population is overweight or obese. These weight trends are even more pronounced among African Americans with 60% of African American men and 78% of African American women identified as overweight. In addition, 28.8% of men and 50.8% of African American women are considered obese.
Simply put, we eat large portions of what we want but the nutritional value is not there. Our recipes give you just that, good healthy food with a balanced nutrition. They are for anyone that needs a balanced meal selection without the worry of excess sugar, sodium, or calories! Start eating smarter right now with Livewell Healthy Living Café.
Coffee Bean & Peppercorn Steak:
2 servings | Active Time: 25 minutes | Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 small clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces sirloin steak, about 1-inch thick, trimmed of fat
- Preheat grill to high.
- Smash and peel garlic clove, sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a spoon or the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in coffee and vinegar. Season with pepper.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together. Rub steaks with oil, sprinkle with the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat. Grill 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain. Serve with the vinaigrette.
Per serving : 190 Calories; 8 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 4 g Mono; 55 mg Cholesterol; 2 g Carbohydrates; 25 g Protein; 0 g Fiber; 195 mg Sodium; 347 mg Potassium
Exchanges: 3 1/2 lean meat
This health informative is brought to you by Livewell Distribution, a company focused on health and wellness. For more information on obtaining Livewell’s healthy products email them at: firstname.lastname@example.org